Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why a blog?

I've been talking to many of you recently about the dance writing I'm doing this summer.  Some of my writing--my "official" reviews of ADF performances--is published online at www.worlddancereviews.com.  But what about the other things I'm working on?  I'd like to share them, too.  At the risk of just putting these out into a void, I thought I'd put them in a central place for people to take a look at when they want.  I hope this will be a site I continue to update after the summer ends--it's my goal to keep writing (non-academically) about dance even during the semesters.  So check back often.
Here's a brief background on what I'm doing this summer: I've gotten a summer research grant from my university to attend the dance performances at the American Dance Festival in Durham, NC, and write about them.  In addition to writing reviews of the shows, I am also practicing writing about live dance in a variety of other ways, including essays and creative, poetic works.  I'm doing a lot of reading, too, about dance criticism, the role of the critic, the role of dance writing in the life of a dance work.  Officially published or not, my writing about these shows enters the world of artifacts surrounding each dance work--video, rehearsal recordings, conversations among theater-goers, reviews, scholarly essays, choreographic notes by the choreographer--that contribute to the accumulated meaning(s) of the dance work.
So.  That's what I'm up to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment